Behind the Scenes
Played by: Wil Wheaton
Lieutenant Commander Robin Cunningham
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"--Robin Cunningham running away from something.
Robin Cunningham is the omniphobic chief weapons officer of the Alliance Starship Muffin. He is jittery and full of irrational fears, but seems remarkably devoid of a great many rational fears. He has a love of weapons and weapon systems and is well versed in a variety of combat techniques, both personally and at the starship level. He loves video games and simulations that provide him with a safer environment. The reason for his wearing an eyepatch remains a mystery.
On this page... (hide)
Robin Eric Cunningham was born to Eric and Thelma Cunningham on Europa Station where both of his parents were stationed as Alliance officers. His father was a security officer and his mother was a command officer. When both of his parents were transfered to different posts, Robin, instead of being taken with either parents was given to his uncle and aunt on Coruscant for a few years before his parents were able to rearrange transfers and bring their family back together.
At an early age Robin was exposed to several adverse conditions by his uncle who thought it would be quote: "funny." As a result Robin fears; Heights, Ladybugs, Snakes, Water, Milk, Polish Sausage, Gravity, William Henry Harrison, the music of the B52's and whole host of other irrational things, plus a few rational ones.
Growing up with these phobias lead to a lot of teasing in grade school and high school and left Robin further scared and scarred. Almost every paper and project Robin did during his education revolved around one of his phobias. In an attempt to alleviate his fears Robin's father did what any good father would do, he bought his son a gun. Arming a person terrified of everything was probably not the best idea, however it did expose Robin to something that would alter the course of his entire life. (No, that's not how he lost an eye). Robin became interested in weapons in general as a way to defend himself from all the problems in the world and began to study weapons and weapon systems, gaining a level of expertise unseen in most children his age, and rightfully so.
Much of Robin's youth was also spent playing video games, as it gave him an environment where he could feel safe, fight back and restart if his character happened to die.
Robin avoided college because it seemed too scary, but he was able to overcome his fears sufficiently to join the Alliance Navy as a weapons specialist. He reasoned that the Navy was safer than college because the Navy gave you a gun. Robin quickly learned the weapons systems of the ships he was stationed on and proceeded through the ranks at a normal pace. His phobias slowed some of his progress but his crews over the years did their best to help him get through his phobias and even conquer a few. Things like this have given Robin the hope that he may one day not be afraid anymore.
In 2348 Robin was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and assigned to the Muffin where he met the man who would become his best friend, Skip Tyler. Skip's unique speech patterns allowed Robin to conquer his fear of long words and the two have since been very close.
When Robin met Captain Smith he was in the middle of a bout of terror concerning a ladybug on his console and ran off to hide until it was gone. From there he went to interpret a game he was playing into an actual attack on the ship and cause a red alert. He has since distinguished himself somewhat better, participating in several away missions and aiding the crew in numerous instances.
Robin was briefly kidnapped by Space Pirates and owing to his eyepatch quickly accepted by them. In the short time he was with them he learned a lot of their ways and practices and was almost a little reluctant to return to the crew of the Muffin. However he eventually realized that the life of a pirate was far more dangerous than that of a Naval Officer.
During the hunt for the Saber of Ages, Robin aided fellow crew member Shauna Finelli on Jephto in hunting down a clue, however in the ensuing fight the clue was lost. Robin's weapons skills came in handy however covering Colonel Finelli and he was able to take down many of the Jedi Killers.
Due to his continuing excellence in service Robin was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
With all of his phobias life has been difficult for Robin, however he is capable of functioning like a normal person. In addition to his phobias Robin is also very superstitious and is a hypochondriac. In defense of his hypochondria he does suffer a few actual maladies, such as asthma, lactose intolerance (which lead to his fear of milk) and various allergies He is generally quite and shy, but opens up more around those he considers friends.
Funnily enough, he also has a lack of fear of things that would send a more normal person screaming in fear, such as Xenomorphs.
- Achluophobia- Fear of darkness
- Acrophobia- Fear of heights
- Agrizoophobia- Fear of wild animals
- Alektorophobia- Fear of chickens
- Alliumphobia- Fear of garlic
- Amnesiphobia- Fear of amnesia
- Ancraophobia- Fear of wind
- Anthrophobia or Anthophobia- Fear of flowers
- Arachibutyrophobia- Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth
- Athazagoraphobia- Fear of being forgotton or ignored or forgetting
- Bacillophobia- Fear of microbes
- Bogyphobia- Fear of bogeys or the bogeyman
- Coccinellidaephobia- Fear of Ladybugs
- Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns
- Cyclophobia- Fear of bicycles
- Demonophobia or Daemonophobia- Fear of demons
- Didaskaleinophobia- Fear of going to school
- Dishabiliophobia- Fear of undressing in front of someone
- Dutchphobia- Fear of the Dutch
- Entomophobia- Fear of insects
- Epistaxiophobia- Fear of nosebleeds
- Glossophobia- Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak
- Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia- Fear of the number 666
- Homilophobia- Fear of sermons
- Hydrophobia- Fear of water or of rabies
- Hypengyophobia or Hypegiaphobia- Fear of responsibility
- Insectophobia - Fear of insects
- Kielbasaphobia- Fear of Polish Sausage
- Kosmikophobia- Fear of cosmic phenomenon
- Kymophobia- Fear of waves
- Kyphophobia- Fear of stooping
- Liticaphobia- Fear of lawsuits.
- Lactophobia- Fear of milk
- Linonophobia- Fear of string
- Lutraphobia- Fear of otters
- Mageirocophobia- Fear of cooking
- Mycophobia- Fear or aversion to mushrooms
- Nebulaphobia- Fear of fog
- Nonipresiphobia- Fear of William Henry Harrison
- Octophobia - Fear of the figure 8
- Ophidiophobia- Fear of snakes
- Ophthalmophobia- Fear of being stared at
- Papaphobia- Fear of the Pope
- Paralipophobia- Fear of neglecting duty or responsibility
- Paraskavedekatriaphobia- Fear of Friday the 13th
- Pediophobia- Fear of dolls
- Phasmophobia- Fear of ghosts
- Phobophobia- Fear of phobias
- Pupaphobia - Fear of puppets
- Sciophobia Sciaphobia- Fear of shadows
- Selachophobia- Fear of sharks
- Taphephobia Taphophobia- Fear of being buried alive or of cemeteries
- Textophobia- Fear of certain fabrics
- Theologicophobia- Fear of theology
- Topophobia- Fear of certain places or situations, such as stage fright
- Triskaidekaphobia- Fear of the number 13
- Wiccaphobia: Fear of witches and witchcraft
- Xerophobia- Fear of dryness
- Zemmiphobia- Fear of the great mole rat
- Anthropophobia- Fear of people or society
- Barophobia- Fear of gravity
- Caligynephobia- Fear of beautiful women
- Catagelophobia- Fear of being ridiculed
- Chiraptophobia- Fear of being touched
- Claustrophobia- Fear of confined spaces
- Geniophobia- Fear of chins
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words
- Methyphobia- Fear of alcohol
- Peladophobia- Fear of bald people
- Siderophobia- Fear of stars
- Spacephobia- Fear of outer space
For all his fears Robin is an excellent marksman and is proficient with many heavy weapons as well as personal combat skills.
Robin considers Skip Tyler his best friend. Robin maintained a relationship with his somewhat sadistic uncle regardless of what his father and mother might have to say about it. After that uncle passed away, he continued to keep in contact with his wife (his mother's sister). It is believed that Robin thinks he can conquer more of his fears if he deals with the person (or at least the person married to the person) who gave him many of them.
- Following the theme of traits uncharacteristic for people in certain roles the weapons officer is afraid of everything
- Robin was named for "Brave Sir Robin" of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.